Development / Building

The Development Act 1993, provides for the management of development within South Australia. If you are considering commencing any type of development, it is advisable to contact your local Council to find out what process you first need to go through, but more often than not, you will need to lodge a Development Application Form with Council.

Development includes such things as:

  • Building work
  • A change in the use of land
  • The division of an allotment
  • The construction or alteration of a road, street or thoroughfare on land
  • In relation to a State or local heritage place - the demolition removal, conversion, alteration or painting of, or addition to, the place or any other work that could materially affect the heritage value of the place

Once you have lodged a Development Application with Council, it will travel two fundamental paths: Development Plan Consent (Planning approval); and Building Rules Consent (Building approval).

When you have obtained both these consents (where required), a Development Approval will be issued enabling you to commence the work.

To obtain Development Plan Consent, please be aware that the proposed development should comply with the requirements of the Berri Barmera Development Plan. Essentially, the Development Plan is a blue print for the on-going development of the whole Council area. The Development Plan is available from the Planning SA website: Berri Barmera Development Plan

During 2013, Council undertook a review of its Development Plan - the outcome being the Strategic Directions Report. This was undertaken in accordance with section 30 of the Development Act 1993. A copy of the Strategic Directions Report is available here(1720 kb).

The first step for lodging a Development Application is to collect an application form from the Berri or Barmera Council office, or download an application form.

Please remember that for every property transaction you make, there may be a tax consideration. For further information, please visit: and refer to the guide "GST and Property".

More Info:

This week we’re collecting your Organic bin
Back to top